Wednesday, June 9, 2010

Flour Tortillas


Rating: 5 stars
Prep time: Medium... at least compared to the tortillas you pull out of a bag!

Growing up, I LOVED it when my mom made fresh flour tortillas. Fresh flour (I can't believe I initially spelled that "flower"! yikes!) tortillas + crock-pot cooked pinto beans was my idea of heaven. These tortillas have so much more flavor than tortillas from a bag! Now, we make them once every week or two. In this particular picture I used 1/2 wheat 1/2 white flour, but I sometimes do all white flour—they are both good in different ways.

4 cups flour
2 t. salt
1/2 t. baking powder (err on the side of too little or you will end up with puffy flatbread instead of tortillas)
1/2 cup shortening or butter
1 1/4-1 1/2 cups hot water

Heat pan or griddle to about 325 (do not grease). In a large bowl, combine flour, salt, and baking powder. With pastry blender, cut in shortening or butter (tip: if you are using refrigerated butter, slice before adding to flour mixture for easier blending). When shortening/butter is mostly blended, add water gradually (I usually start with 1 cup, mix, and then add the water about 1/4 cup at a time after that) until dough is moist and holds together without being sticky. Knead with hands for a minute, then divide into balls a little bigger than a golf ball. On VERY VERY lightly floured surface, roll balls as flat as possible and transfer immediately to hot griddle or pan (otherwise they will puff up). Cook a few minutes on each side, until tortilla is just beginning to have golden-brown spots but still flexible. Fill with your normal taco filling.

5 comments:

  1. YUMMY. I have been spoiled by Cafe Rio's fresh tortillas, so storebought ones just don't do it for me any more. Now I can make my own Cafe Rio salads with this torilla recipe :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. i've decided your cooking blog is so great i'm going to blog about it myself :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks, Kestrel and Mary! Kestrel - these tortillas are still a bit fuller than Cafe Rio's; if you want a VERY thin tortilla, try decreasing the baking powder a bit.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Have you tried making this with other kinds of flour other than wheat flour? I'm thinking about growing oats, and I'm wondering if I can use oat flour as a substitute.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Geni, I haven't, but I don't see why it wouldn't work. I typically do 50-100% wheat flour and they usually leaven just fine, so I am guessing they will still rise ok with another kind of whole-grain flour. It will probably change the taste, but I think it would work okay.

    ReplyDelete